Why Do I Need an Elder Law Attorney?
Getting older, moving to a nursing home and everything that comes with it is something that we generally don’t want to think about. But, the truth is, getting older is a part of life and we need to think about it and we need to plan for it otherwise we will end up in unpleasant situations that could have been avoided.
What is an elder law attorney?
An elder law attorney helps you develop a plan for the future. A plan that helps to protect your assets and property in the event that you become incapacitated and are unable to express your wishes. A solid plan includes a Medicaid Plan, Asset Protection, Will, Health Care Proxy, Living Will, and Trusts to protect your assets and insure they are distributed according to your wishes upon your death. This area of the law is dedicated to protecting some of the most vulnerable members of society. It also is a diverse field of law as it encompasses planning to find protection for crucial assets and planning for any special needs or considerations that may arise.
Because of the guidance and assistance offered by an elder law attorney, many people have the peace of mind of knowing that their wishes will be followed even when they can no longer voice them. These professionals also help clients sort out how to pay for things like residence in a nursing home without having to sacrifice all of their assets.
What Is Elder Law?
Elder law attorneys focus on issues specific to the elderly, such as:
- Estate planning and administration
- Long term care
- Tax questions
- Fiduciary administration
Why do I need an Elder Law attorney?
First thing’s first: Medicaid. Medicaid is a maze of complex rules and regulations that the general public may find impossible to navigate and comprehend. Medicaid regulations are even hard for non-elder law attorneys to understand! This is one extremely important reason why the the counsel of an elder law attorney is so crucial. This is our business, our specialty, we know our stuff and understand the daunting Medicaid process. If you need long-term home or nursing facility care, your needs will best be served by an Elder Law attorney.
How can an Elder Law attorney help me?
An Elder Law attorney can help with the following services:
- Discussing the importance of wills and estate planning, including planning for an adult or minor with special needs.
- Creating a durable power of attorney
- Provide help and guidance with healthcare and planning, including long-term care options, Medicare, patient rights and healthcare power of attorney
- Financial representation: financial planning, income, estate and gift tax matters, housing opportunities and planning
- Guardianship: help to select and appoint a legal guardian
- Help locate long term care facilities and manage costs associated with assisted living
- Draft a living will or other advanced directives, including a durable power of attorney and long term planning documents
Life is complex and no two lives are cut from the same cookie cutter. It’s likely that you have some type of complexity in your family that may make will and estate planning a little more tricky. This is where the expertise of an Elder Law attorney becomes invaluable. They can help sort out the following situations that can make financial planning for the future a bit more complicated:
- You’re in a second or later marriage
- You own own or more businesses
- You own real estate in multiple states
- You are disabled
- You have a disabled family member
- You have minor children
- You have a “problem” child
- You don’t have any children
- You want to leave your estate or parts of it to charity
- You have substantial assets in your 401(k) or IRA
- You are recently divorced
- You have recently lost a spouse
- You have a spouse in need of long-term care
If you are seeking the services of an elder law attorney, Kyle Steller can assist you with your Elder Law and Estate Planning items such as a Medicaid Planning, Asset Protection, Special Needs Trusts, Wills, Trusts, Health Care Proxy and all the other details that make up a solid plan. Contact us today for a free consultation. When it comes to Elder Law, Kyle Steller provides peace of mind for people in or near the communities of Poughkeepsie, Kingston, Newburgh, Highland, Highland Falls, and any town in Ulster, Dutchess or Orange Counties.
Consult with an Elder Law Attorney
Fill our form to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Elder Law Attorney. If you need guidance with wills, trusts, medicaid planning, asset protection or any other service Kyle Steller provides. Kyle serves families and individuals in Ulster County, Dutchess County and throughout the Hudson Valley of New York. Schedule your consultation using the form here, or call Kyle at 845-489-8712